Michael Leonard, P.E., S.E.
Michael Leonard has a passion for developing outstanding structural solutions. After earning his BSCE from the University of Washington and his MSCE from the University of California at Berkeley, Mr. Leonard has continuously built his knowledge base upon more than 30 years of providing engineering for regional, national and international projects. As the founding owner and principal of MLA, Mr. Leonard strives to continuously advance the firm by learning and applying technological developments in engineering. His professional experience includes:
- Ocean Wonders Shark Building at the New York Aquarium, Brooklyn, New York;
- Phase one of the Blue World pool and exhibit expansion at SeaWorld San Diego California;
- specialty structures for the 80+ acre zoo in Doha, Qatar;
- aquatic concrete, guest facilities, and animal exhibits at the Houston, Fresno, Cheyenne Mtn, Minnesota, Hogle, and Woodland Park Zoos;
- long-span steel roof and superstructure for the King County Bow Lake Transfer Station in Tukwila, Washington;
- foundations and seating bowl framing for Safeco Field in Seattle, Washington; the deep foundation included 1,400 driven steel pipe piles;
- a 220-foot long composite steel and concrete truss, with a post-tensioned hollow pipe bottom chord, located at the University of Washington Hec Edmundson Pavilion, Seattle, Washington;
- construction engineering and quality control for a high-strength, lightweight post-tensioned concrete floating drilling structure used for oil exploration in the Beaufort Sea, built in Tsu, Japan;
- a 60-foot tall, three-quarter mile long permanent tied-back retaining wall that provides soil retention and stability at the West Point Treatment Plant in Seattle, Washington;
- a variety of public and private buildings that are constructed of steel, concrete, masonry and timber.
Mr. Leonard is a licensed Professional Engineer in Washington, Alaska, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Tennessee and Texas.